Option 1. Part A
- The state of the Franks arose:
A) in the year 500
B) in 486
C) in the year 400
- What was the name of the landholding for which military service was rendered?
a) a vow; b) a feud; c) a legacy; d) a title.
- The first compendium of the laws of the Franks was compiled during the reign of King:
A) Chlodwig; b) Charlemagne; c) Pepin the Short; d) Charles Martel.
- What is the Holy Book of Muslims called?
a) Bible ; b) Koran ; c) Vedas ; d) Chronicles
- All the ministers of the church constituted a special group of people:
A) chivalry ; b) merchants ; c) peasants ; d) clergy.
- The medieval book was:
A) a papyrus roll;
B) evenly folded sheets of split bamboo;
C) folded and bound sheets of parchment of the same size;
D) a stack of clay tablets.
- A code of uniform laws for the entire empire was compiled during the reign of the Byzantine emperor:
A) Justinian; b) Constantine4 c) Basil 1 Macedonian; d) Theodosius 2.
- A person who lived in a city for one year and one day:
a) became free c) mastered a certain craft
b) acquired a liege lord d) was subject to the rules established by the city charter
- Commodity farming:
A) a household that was given for military service;
B) an artisan’s workshop in which his wares could be bought;
C) an economy in which products are made to be sold in the marketplace, exchanged by means of money;
D) an economy in which everything necessary is produced for one’s own consumption.
- State the year in which the division of the Christian church into Catholic and Orthodox occurred:
A) 1054; b) 1066; c) 1077; d) 1099.
- What was the name of the body of class representation in France?
a) Parliament b) States-General c) Sejm d) Cortes
- The reason for the Hundred Years’ War for France was:
A) to recapture Aquitaine from England;
B) to conquer lands in North America;
C) to seize parts of England;
D) to repay debts to England.
- In 1358, there was:
A) the conclusion of peace between France and England;
B) the battle of Poitiers;
C) the rebellion of peasants in France (Jacqueria);
D) a peasant uprising in England.
- During the Hussite wars, the people rose up against:
A) the rulers of the city of Prague;
B) priests of the Catholic Church;
C) the Czech king;
D) local feudal lords.
- Bulgaria came under the power of the Ottoman Turks:
A) because of constant wars with nomadic Pechenegs tribes;
B) because of the inability of the feudal lords to unite their forces to resist the conquerors;
C) because of the support of individual Bulgarian feudal lords for the Ottoman Turks;
D) because of the unexpected death of the Bulgarian king Basil II from a heart attack.
Option 1. Part B
В1. Match the elements in the left and right columns. One element in the left column corresponds to one element in the right column.
the concept of
A) an image of God, the saints, made on a wooden board, which is an object of worship
B) illustrations that were placed in books.
C) picturesque images made up of opaque pieces of glass or colored stones.
D) polychrome paintings on wet plaster
E) the most important (eastern) part of a Christian temple where worship is conducted
В2. Identify who made a vow (promise) to give up personal property, have no family, live in poverty, and obey the head of the monastery unquestioningly: ________________
В3. What do these names have in common: Urban II, Innocent III; Clement V.
В4. What is “shield money”? Who paid them and why?
В5. List what kind of equipment the knight had.
Option 2. Part A
- The estates are:
A) an association of several tribes;
B) large groups of people with the same rights and responsibilities;
C) an alliance of emperors and kings;
D) an alliance of artisans.
- This leader advanced among the Franks at the end of the fifth century:
A) Atilla; B) Chlodwig; C) Julius Caesar; D) Justinian.
- In what year was Charlemagne proclaimed emperor?
a) in 800; b) in 500; c) in 395; d) in 732.
- In Constantinople the most remarkable work of Byzantine architecture was the temple of :
A) Kaaba; b) St. Sophia; c) St. Basil; d) Pantheon.
- In medieval cities, the workshops were:
A) branches of factories;
B) unions of craftsmen of different specializations;
C) Unions of craftsmen of one specialty.
D) unions of patricians and seniors.
- The division of the Christian church into the Catholic and Orthodox churches occurred:
A) in 843; b) in 962; c) in 1092; d) in 1054.
- The ecclesiastical court established to deal with heretics was called:
A) indulgence; b) order; c) inquisition; d) confession.
- The form of government in which the king relies on an assembly of representatives of the estates is called: A:
A) enlightened monarchy; b) absolute monarchy;
C) a class monarchy; d) a constitutional monarchy.
- In what year were the General Staats first convened in France:
A) 1215; b) 1265; c) 1258; d) 1302.
- In the year 1381 occurred:
A) the battle of Slaize off the coast of Flanders;
B) the battle of Crecy;
C) the rebellion of Wat Tyler in England.
D) the rebellion of the peasants in France:
- Who led the struggle of the French people against England in the early fifteenth century?
A) Joan of Arc C) Guillaume Calle
B) Charles VII D) Edward III
- In the Hundred Years’ War, the core of the English army consisted of:
A) scattered detachments led by feudal lords.
B) infantrymen recruited from among mercenaries;
C) chariots driven by feudal lords;
D) knightly cavalry led by the king.
- The Serbian warrior who sneaked into the Turkish camp to assassinate the Sultan was named:
A) Jan Žižka4 b) Guillaume Kal; c) Miloš Obić; d) Robin Hood.
- The Hussite wars ended in 1434 near Lipany with a battle between:
A) crusaders and Hussites;
B) the moderates and the Taborites;
C) moderates and crusaders;
D) Czech and German feudal lords.
- The duty of dependent peasants in the form of regular payments to the lord in produce or money is called:
A) a tax; b) a tribute; c) a contribution; d) a fine.
Option 2. Part B
В1. Match the concepts with their definitions.
The concept of
A) the shop
D) city hall
1) an exemplary work, which an apprentice made in order to become a master
2) an item made for sale
3) a building in which the town council met
4) a union of craftsmen of the same profession
5) the head of the city council
В2. The head of the Christian church in Western Europe was:_____________
В3. What do these names have in common: Philip II Augustus; Louis IX Saint; Philip IV the Beautiful.
В4. Name the obligations of a vassal to his liege lord.
В5. List the duties of the peasants.