So what features does Microsoft Word offer?
The ability to create a new document by using templates. It is worth specifying that this includes templates that can be used to create standard letters, greeting notes, faxes, reports and other documents.
Ability to simultaneously open and work with more than one document.
Automatically check spelling, style, and grammar when entering text into a document.
The ability to automatically correct errors that occur most frequently in what you write.
Includes advanced document formatting capabilities.
MS Word, unlike WordPad, allows you to align the document on both edges (or center), and provides the ability to use multi-column layout.
Ability to apply styles for quick document formatting.
Provides the ability to automate the input of standard and repetitive text elements.
Includes convenient mechanisms to work with footnotes, links, headers.
Allows you to include in the text the elements that were created in other programs included in Microsoft Office: spreadsheets, graphics or photos, graphics, video images, sounds and much more.
Ability to prepare hypertext Internet documents and simple spreadsheets.
Ability to automatically create indexes and table of contents of the document.
Ability to send the finished document directly from Word by e-mail or fax to another person or company.
Contains a built-in volumetric help system and wizard prompts.
It is worth noting that the methods of working with the word processor Microsoft Word 2013 (or earlier versions), as well as with any application included in Office, is based entirely on the visual perception. It turns out that when a user opens a document, the graphics, text and formatting look exactly the same as they would look on paper.
It is because of its features Microsoft Office Word has earned the respect and recognition of a large number of users.
Functionality of Microsoft Word word processor
The wide range of functionality provided by the word processor Microsoft Word has given it a high level of popularity among users. Its features bring it close to desktop publishing systems.
When preparing a document, the user has at his disposal a set of tools and procedures for organizing the work of entering, editing and formatting text and embedded objects. To the basic functionalities on work with the document it is possible to refer: use of fonts of the various sizes and outlines of symbols and various ways of their definition; installation of parameters of a paragraph; setting of line spacing; spelling check and selection of synonyms; automatic page numbering; automatic transfer of words on a new line; search and replacement of words; print top and bottom page headings (footers); installation of footnotes; construction of tables of contents, indexes; text set in some columns; creation of tables, drawings and so on.
The word processor also offers a wide choice of means to make the document look attractive: auto-formatting, applying styles, style libraries and document templates. Using templates you can automate the process of preparing standard documents, such as faxes, standard business correspondence and documentation. Possibility of work with structure of the document, procedure of merge, preparation of the documents-forms is given.
Let’s examine some functionality of the word processor Microsoft Word2000 in more detail.
Spell Checker. Many new words are included in the spell checker: these are, first and foremost, names and surnames.
Selecting the right font. In Word 2000, it is more convenient to select the font you want, which appears as a list of drop-down WYSIWYG menus. The name of the fonts in the list is reproduced by the font itself. This allows you to quickly find the appropriate headset.
Multiple clipboard: The advantage of the Office2000 suite is the multiple clipboard, which allows you to place up to 12 pieces of data (the clipboard can be called by the View► Toolbars► Clipboard command).
Design themes. Design themes are intended for automated design of Web pages. Design themes offer background images and define the font, point size, format, and color of the text. All themes are available in and can be edited in FrontPage, the Web page authoring application. Similar themes are available in other Office applications, allowing you to develop documents in the same style.
Tools for creating Web pages. The Web page wizard allows you to use common design themes and tools for navigating between pages. Templates help you build professional web pages.
Email integration.The Word word processor offers options for working with email. When using Word as an email editor, users have the ability to use forms, auto-sign email messages, and more.
The functionality of MS Word allows you to perform the following complicated word processing procedures, for example.
1. Saving text in other formats. By default, Word saves files under the name Document in the .doc format. If necessary, you can save the file with a format change, such as .txt or rtf, which expands the number of programs that can open the saved file.
2. Multi-window mode. In multi-window mode, Word allocates a separate memory area for each document and a separate window on the screen. The windows can be arranged in a cascade (one after the other) or in a mosaic. You can move or copy text segments from one window to another.
3. Inserting objects.The Word Editor lets you create or take from another program and insert a non-text object, such as a table, figure, diagram, clip, letter, hypertext link, etc., into the plain text. Combining plain text with inserted objects embellishes the document and increases the informative content.
When you work with multipage documents consisting of several sections or parts, Word stores the section headings in memory and generates a table of contents with a page number for each header. When the text changes, the created table of contents can be updated.Similarly formed list of references, which lists all the sources cited in the document.
5. Sending the file by email. The file created in Word editor can be sent by email without going to the email program, which greatly simplifies the process of working with network documents.
6. Using templates. The editor has a large set of sample documents – templates. Availability of templates significantly reduces the time of preparation of documents and simplifies the problems of their standardization. For example, templates of a business letter or a CV (brief information about the specialist when applying for a job) are among the most frequently used ones.
7. spreadsheet calculations. Word text editor performs some functions of spreadsheets, in particular, allows you to make formula-based calculations of tabular data, such as the sum of column data.
The full list of word processor features is much wider than this list. The capabilities of each word processor are laid down in a menu which consists of a set of command tabs and command execution buttons. Knowing the menus and the order of the command buttons is a sign of the user’s skill and familiarity with word processor.
Features of Microsoft Word :
– Ability to create a new document using templates (Word includes templates for standard letters, greeting notes, reports, faxes and a number of other documents).
– Ability to open and work with a large number of documents simultaneously.
– Automatic spell, grammar and style check when entering a document.
– Automatic correction of the most frequent mistakes.
– More document formatting options.
– Unlike WordPad, Word allows alignment on both sides of the document, multi-column layout.
– Using styles for quick document formatting.
– The ability to automate the input of repetitive and standard text elements.
– Handy mechanisms of work with links, footnotes, headers.
– Inclusion in the text of elements created in other Microsoft Office programs – graphics, spreadsheets and charts, sounds, video images, etc.
– Ability to prepare simple spreadsheets and hypertext documents of the Internet.
– Ability to work with mathematical formulas.
– Automatic creation of indexes and table of contents of the document.
– Possibility to send the ready document directly from Word to fax and e-mail (requires a modem).
The Basic Functions of the Text Editor MS Word
Anyone who uses a personal computer quite often to work with text is familiar with the program called Microsoft Word. And it doesn’t matter what version you have installed. In any case, this text editor provides users who use it, a large set of features designed to make working with this program easy. Let’s consider the basic functions of the program under consideration on the example of the text editor MS Word 2010. In general, it is worth noting that the work in Word refers to the field of technology for processing text.
So, the main functions of the program under consideration include:
Editing, creating text. Saving a document as a file with the necessary extension (in 2003 the default extension is *.doc, in 2007, 2010 – *.docx). Searching of the necessary file on the information carrier (a hard disk, flash drive, diskette, etc.) and reading it from a disk.
Search for spelling errors in the existing text and check vocabulary.
Ability to split text into pages.
User can format the texts at own discretion.
Ability to create a table of contents of the document (in automatic mode).
Built-in possibility of multi-window mode (work with windows).
Print out files in different formats. And this text editor is different: what the user sees – that will be printed, the so-called mode WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get).
Deleting objects from the file, as well as introducing them there.
Inserting and creating drawings in the file (and you can also insert ready-made photos). You can use a library called CLIPART, which stores ready-made *.wmf drawings, and paste them into the file.
Inserting scientific formulas (chemical, mathematical, etc.) and diagrams into the file.
Changing the size and type of font used in the text (and not for the whole text, but for different parts can be used its own print format).
Selecting the necessary text or block sections and moving them to a new location. If necessary, you can delete them. Also included is the ability to frame desired text sections.
Creating and inserting spreadsheets into the file. And you can change the number of rows and columns in them at your discretion.
Creation of databases in spreadsheets, as well as performing complex or simple mathematical calculations.
Ability to program in a language called Word Basic, as well as to create macro commands. A macro or macro command is a language sentence that identifies a set of the simplest commands. A macro usually stores a combination of keys, which can then be used far more than once. With the help of macros you can automate the most used operations. It should be noted that in addition to key macros, there are language macros, which are created in the programming language Word Basic.
Creating envelopes for letters, labels and emblems.
Insert video clips, text special effects, multimedia and sound files into the file.
Preview before printing the text with the ability to enlarge it for better viewing.
In the text editor under consideration is an extensive help system, through which the user can get help pretty quickly.
Above were listed the main functions that the text editor MS Word 2010 can perform, but in fact, there are many more! This program was created specifically to make life easier for users!
The way we work with Word, just like with any other Office application, is purely visual: when we open a document, the text, graphics, and formatting looks on the screen just as they do in print.